- Last updated on: Saturday, 29 February 2020
Firing during pregnancy and for a period of eighteen months post-partum is prohibited in Greece, even with an invalid or non-existent contract of employment.
The woman, due to her gender, is at a disadvantage to the man in the labor market. Particularly during her pregnancy and the reduced workload she can accommodate, the chances of a worker's dismissal increase because employers want to reduce the payroll burden and replace her with a more productive employee. Fortunately for women, Greek labor law limits and employer's ability to fire a pregnant woman and protects her job security during and after pregnancy.
Deprived of tax revenue from disallowance of short-term property leases, Greek law now enables citizens to lease vacant properties on a short-term basis provided certain conditions are met.
The building boom of recent decades combined with migration and de-urbanization resulted in an increase of vacant apartments in cities and the oversupply of rental properties for lease at low rates. Difficulty in leasing plus overtaxation of real estate forced private owners to either sell or switch to new forms of exploitation, including short-term rental of properties to tourists via the internet. With the use of digital platforms, the most famous of which being Airbnb, hundreds of individuals in Greece are able to lease apartment rooms to luxurious villas to tourists for limited periods of time.
Renting an apartment or even a detached house is a permanent headache for pet owners in Greece. Tenants usually conceal their pet ownership from landlords due to simple negligence or fear of rejection of their tenancy application. Later, if residents complain to the landlord about pets in the tenanted apartment, the landlord may be surprised and break the lease.
More Articles ...
- The tenant's rights in Greece after the purchase of the tenanted property by a new landlord
- The medical malpractice liability of doctors who practice alternative medicine in Greece
- The legal protection of the primary residence in Greece in the years of the financial crisis
- Overpopulation of lawyers in Greece and rest of Europe: myths vs reality
- The legal requirements for keeping pets at home in Greece